Minnesota Transfer 62 (Currently lettered as GE 1990)
was built by the American Locomotive Company (ALCo) in Schnectady, New
York in 1941. MTFR 62 was one of five ALCo S1 diesel switch
locomotives purchased by the MTFR.
Minnesota Transfer Railway
Company, a Minnesota Corporation, was a transfer, terminal and
industrial switching railroad in the Twin Cities. It was equally owned
by nine railroads in the Twin Cities. The Chicago Great Western Railway
Co and Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway Company each had a 1/9
interest in the railway. In 1955 the company operated 103 miles of yard
tracks and sidings, as well as terminal facilities, in St. Paul,
Minneapolis, New Brighton, and Fridley. Portions of the trackage
still exists today but is now called the Minnesota Commercial Railway.
MTFR 62 served the
Minnesota Transfer until 1964 when it was sold to RELCO, a locomotive
leasing company in Illinois that leases switch engines to industrial
users. RELCO renumbered this unit to RE702.
GE Railcar Services in Waterloo
purchased this unit from RELCO in 1990 and renumbered it 1990.
Minnesota Transfer Railway 62 was donated to HCHC by General Electric
Railcar Services Corp. in 2006. Iowa Northern Railway generously
transported it to Oelwein.
MTFR 62 is the sole diesel switcher
type locomotive survivor of the Minnesota Transfer Railway.